Friday, June 20, 2008

Worry Prone!

K! so i'm pretty sure i'm going to be the most paranoid parent ever when i have kids. We took Dexter in this morning to get his first vaccine shot, and it was the saddest thing. He was so scared. The doctor told us he might have an allergic reaction to the shot and if he did, to bring him back. They told us to look for white gums, and a swollen face. A few hours later Dexter started to act abnormal. He wouldn't hold still and he was whimpering everywhere he went. I also noticed his gums weren't as pink and that his cheeks looked a little bigger. I called the vet back to see if i should bring him in, but they told me to give him some Benadryl first to see if that would help. Lets just say, I keep looking over at him to see if he's more swollen or has other symptoms. Then before todd left, he was petting him and felt a small lump in his hair. Todd dug through his hair to get it out and it looked like a piece of food or like a bean stuck in his head. As soon as we got a better look at it, i told todd it was a big bug! We got the tweezers and pulled it out, and it was a HUGE tick! Like, i've seen ticks before, and this was huge! I couldn't believe it and i almost started gagging. I HATE bugs. Poor Dexter. We just bathed him yesterday and we found no sign of it. We didn't know how long it had been there, so i called the doggy hospital and they said he should be fine as long as we got the head out- which we did. Now i'm just sitting here wondering what else i can get worried about! If i'm like this with my dog, i can't imagine what its going to be like when i have children!!! I'm pretty sure i get it from my mother. ;) sorry mom, but its true. Ha ha.
This is a picture of his swollen face. I guess you wouldn't be able to tell unless you were around him more. :(

4 comments:

Lianne said...

That's so sad. I hope that he is ok. I bet that you are going to be 100 times more worried about your kids! I imagine that we all would be. Don't worry though because you will be a great mom! Hopefully Dexter is better!

Lindsey T said...

Poor little Dexter! Just wait, you don't even know how much you're able to worry yet until you have kids! I've always been a worrier, but it's been multiplied! That's a good thing though, right?!! It just means you love them.

Rohan Shearer said...

So sorry to hear about Dexter! Gizmo got sick early in his life too and we had to take him into the vet and that was very worrisome. You'll be a wonderful mom for sure!

Anonymous said...

You are so cute; it is funny how fast we can get attached to our dogs. I think it is due to the constant service we do for them. I am glad that Dexter is all right.