Sunday, July 25, 2010

The cause behind all the madness

So I'm sure most people could care less that I have back pain, which is fine. But having it be apart of my life for a while now, I've been seeking for a lot of answers, and thanks to having a husband going into physical therapy, going to a physical therapist, and my 2 uncles being physical therapist, I have come to this: (Who knows, maybe this could be helpful information for someone else down the road).

This is where my pain is at.
My symptoms include pinching in the center when I extend my back, lower left pain and around the left hip, and sacrum pain.
And here is why:
Anterial Tilt
After doing some X-rays, I found out that my pelvis tips forward quite a bit, which causes my sacrum to stick out further, putting pressure on it when I sit or lay down for long periods of time.

S.I. Joint Dysfunction
After doing some test, I found that my left SI joint locks up. This could be caused by my anterior tilt, bad posture, and/or lax joints. Lax joints being my joints are more pliable- easily put out of place, because I'm "too" flexible (since when is being TOO flexable bad?) Anyway, when my SI joint locks up or is under stress (possibly due to my anterial tilt), it causes pain around my left hip as well.

Kissing Spine
All the therapist I have talked to think the pinching I am feeling, which causes the most pain, is due to Kissing Spine. That's when the Spinous processes bones touch during extension, causing a sharp pain or "pinch" in my case. This could be caused my my anterial tilt and the exaggerated curve in my lower back.
So, pretty much, all of my pain and symptoms are apart of one large crappy back pain cycle!
But now that I have come to understand what I have, I'm ready to fix it! And hopefully fix it for good! The way I will do this is by stabilization exercises, where I build muscle in my core and butt, tighten up muscles that have been elongated, and stretch muscles that have been shortened. I have been given certain exercises to do this, and I need to do them 2-3 times a day, and hopefully within time, maybe a month or so, my back will go back to it's usual self.
YAAAYYY!!!!!!!!!!

I feel like I have learned so much with this experience, even though it has been hard and it's not over, but it makes me realize what Todd is going into and what a great career it is. To want to help people in physical pain is a gift, a selfless gift, and I'm so glad people, like Todd, choose to do it just so they can help people live a better and happier life. :)

2 comments:

Lindsey T said...

I'm sorry you've been in pain so long! Back pain is the WORST!! i'm glad you know what you're up against now and hopefully it will get better. Now you need to tell Todd to give us those exercises too, we have lots of back pain in our house too.

Rachel said...

I'm so glad you figured out exactly whats wrong, and that you can make it better!